OUTSOURCING YOUR DRONE PROGRAMOctober 7,2019
5 Reasons to Outsource Your Drone Program
The applications for unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) are rapidly expanding in industries from commercial real estate and construction to utilities and agriculture. The demand for commercial drone services is growing just as quickly as professionals, businesses, and municipalities seek to leverage the power of targeted data, transformative intelligence, enhanced safety and artificial intelligence.
This poses a key question: how best do you capitalize on UAS technology? If your business needs aerial surveying, real estate photography, virtual tours, industrial inspections, jobsite monitoring, or other commercial drone services, is it more advantageous to build an in-house UAS program or outsource to a trusted partner?
Outsourcing Drone Services: New England’s Top UAS Companies Offer Key Benefits
Outsourcing makes financial and logistical sense:
- Eliminates upfront investment risk. If you were to run an in-house drone program, equipment is certainly at the top of your expense list. The drone itself costs thousands to tens of thousands of dollars, depending on the model and its capabilities — but that’s just the beginning.
You will also need to fund pre-flight inspections, maintenance, repairs, initial and ongoing staff/pilot training, pilot certification, UAS registration and certification, software, data processing and storage, insurance, and other key ingredients of your program.
A positive ROI can be a long time coming, if it ever does. Outsourcing allows you to contain costs, and save time, so you can focus on what you do best: running your business.
- Offers on-demand service. By accessing commercial drone services as you need them, you’re not burdened with the overhead of supporting your own in-house operation. Need intensive solutions for a complex project? Done. Need a simple fly-by for a real estate brochure? Done. On your timeline. On your budget.
- Delivers scalable solutions. Your needs may contract and expand depending on a number of factors, including season, company growth, client demand, regional reach, etc.. With a trusted partner, you can accommodate for fluxes without carrying unnecessary infrastructure or going to the expense of internal expansion and training.
- You can go… now. In addition to pilot training and licensure, certifications, equipment, and so on, an in-house program will also require an exemption to the Small UAS Rule for drones that weigh more than 55 pounds at take-off. The average wait time for that is 120 days — and currently, the FAA is dealing with a deluge of applications, which means you’re likely to wait significantly longer than that.
Reputable, licensed drone services in New England have all of this in hand, so you can hit the ground running. Perhaps not the best aerial/drone analogy, but the point remains: you can get started on your projects immediately!
We consider the table stakes, if you will. Commercial Drone Services, a top drone technology company in Boston, ups the ante with:
- Legal compliance and enhanced risk/liability mitigation. We manage legal compliance and risk with a comprehensive approach to insurance. We partner with an aviation-industry expert to provide maximum coverage and peace of mind. Redundant layers of protection are critical to protect your business and projects.
- Regulation compliance and permitting. Do you know what airspace you’ll be flying in? What airports you need to request authorization from? What forms you need to fill out and file? And with whom? What exemptions you may need? Which permits apply to you? We do. CDS has extensive experience in compliance and permitting, ensuring you have the all-clear to access the data, visuals, and insights you need.
- Industry-leading technology and software. Our state-of-the-art drones and software allows us to deliver transformative intelligence. For example, we utilize advanced AI-based software that converts aerial data to CAD drawings quickly, so you save time and money while facilitating faster, more effective, decision-making, and enhanced quality control. In addition, our innovative solutions generate topography and maps current conditions, and more. The result: targeted, actionable data to propel your business forward.
Drones empower businesses and professionals to capture critical intelligence — and gain a competitive edge. Sharpen this edge by outsourcing commercial drone services to a trusted partner. CDS is committed to delivering end-to-end solutions, superior service, and the data you need to transform your company.